Friday, November 4, 2011

I Already Miss Them!




Yes, I am talking about those succulent strawberries.  What I have always thought of as God's perfect treat! Yeah, I know we can still get them in the stores.......not the same as those sweet summer strawberries.  And they're expensive now, too.
Most likely, you are all ahead of me on this winterizing notion, but I have put it off until now because I just didn't know what to do.  My daughter bought me some beautiful beautiful, healthy 'everbearing' strawberry plants for Mother's day this year. And now I do not know how to take care of them for the winter. The research game is on this morning!


Of course! K.I.S.S.  ....  Duh!!!!!
OK, well, like I've seen my grandparents and parents do for years......Cover them up with mulch/plastic!  Ever wonder why drawing on that old wisdom just doesn't hit you until you read/hear it somewhere else?  For me, it's getting more and more frequent.
Anyway, in my searching this morning I learned that about 4inches of mulch and or straw over the plants leaving no foliage exposed, keeps in the heat needed for the plants to remain viable for the spring. If frost gets to the  runners, it can burn up the places buds would appear, leaving you with fruitless plants in the spring. Polypropylene (plastic) sheets can be laid over top for added measure and kept in place by stones or stakes. I just love a job that can be accomplished in 15 minutes or less!  With the materials already around the house, this is one less thing on my list to accomplish! Thinking berries, thinking berries!!!!!

We can't let these beautiful little things, get to these beautiful little things:
That gets me thinking........."Frosted Strawberries!!!!" They would look so beautiful on our holiday table! Yes! i'm gonna start working on this, I'll get back to ya on this.......I'll try them, post pics and let ya know just how wonderful they are!  I'm thinking berries iced in some kinda of larger granulated sugar......stay tuned!

No comments: