Wednesday, January 18, 2012

RESOLUTION CHALLENGE, STEP 1

Just so you know, I have been trying to keep up with my 'RESOLUTION CHALLENGE'.  Still in the early stages on finding an alternative way to heat/cook in my home without a fireplace. I’ve been researching small, efficient wood stoves that could be placed in my house. Most home wood stove manufacturers’ smallest models heat 800-1000 square feet at a minimum, which is perfect for my home.  Here are the two top contenders that I have been researching.

Jøtul F 602 CB

From Jøtul’s website come these stats:
  • Maximum heat output: 28,000 BTU/hr
  • Heating capacity: Up to 800 sq.ft
  • Max log length: Up to 16″
  • Over 75% efficient
  • Burn time: Up to 5 hours
  • Finish options: Matte Black Paint
  • Flue outlet: Top, and rear
  • Flue size: 6″ (w/standard adapter)
  • Weight: 160 lbs.
  • Accessories: Fire screen, Rear heatshield
  • Alcove approved for both the US and Canada
  • Fully functional cookplate
  • 5 year limited warranty
This model is appealing because I can get it locally for $850, which isn’t a terrible deal considering they retail for about $1000. The stove takes 16″ logs, which is also a nice feature (but in reality, it would probably take 14″ logs more easily.)
Drawbacks? I’m not that jazzed about the dimensions of the stove – it’s a little long, a bit too rectangular for where April and I hope to install it. I also don’t think the viewing glass is that great, either. Also important to note: I think the “over 75% efficient” is quite exaggerated.

Morsø 1410

  • Maximum Heat (BTU/hr): 30,000
  • Heat Output Range – lab. test (BTU/hr): 9,5862-22,018
  • Test Fuel Load: 5.15 lbs
  • Particulate Emissions: 3.3 grm/hr
  • Log Size: 12″
  • Max. Area Heated: 1000 ft²
  • Firebox Dimensions: 12¼”W x 10¾”D
  • Firebox volume/capacity: 0.736 ft³
  • Gross Weight: 215 lbs
This thing is tiny. On an aesthetic level, I like the Morso 1410 much more than the Jotul. It’s got a nicer viewing window and a great squirrel relief on either side of the stove. More importantly, it’s more of a square shape and not as deep as the Jotul, so it should fit better where we want to install a stove. I don’t think there is much of an efficiency difference compared to the Jotul.
One drawback is the short maximum log length: only 12″ (and probably more like 10-11″)! That means more cutting.  It also has an ash pan, which the Jotul does not. And the main drawback? The price I was quoted is $1000… sheesh! There’s got to be a way to get this thing for cheaper.
Since both stoves seem to be about as capable, efficient, and small as each other, it seems to be a choice we’ll make based on aesthetics. I’m leaning towards the Morso 1410 because of that.

I'm sure there are other ways to accomplish this goal, if you have any helps!!!, PLEASE DO SHARE!!!

No comments: